ads
blog-detail-img

Astha Saxena September 19, 2021

Water damage due to no heat? A few things a landlord can do to effectively encourage tenants to turn on the heat and keep it on.

One of the most expensive and inconvenient truths about bitterly cold winters is resulting in water damage due to the heat being turned off in apartments. I have come up with a few things a landlord can do to effectively encourage tenants to turn on the heat and keep it on, and perhaps also bolster the landlord-tenant relationship in the process.

If you’re a homeowner like I am, you understand how difficult it is to ensure that tenants keep their apartments heated during the winter months. The fact is, tenants are most likely trying to save money but may be unaware of the consequences of turning off the heat during cold snaps. Unfortunately, that awareness usually hits when they turn on the heat, the pipes burst, and water floods their apartments.

While insurance typically covers most claims for frozen pipes, it’s a hazardous situation for other tenants in the property, and even if the insurance company covers the repairs, there is a deductible threshold that must be met. While deductibles for two to three-unit properties are in the $500 to $1000 range, deductibles for four to 200 units start from $5000 and go much higher. For example, a six-unit that sustains water damage due to frozen pipes could sustain damages in the range of $5000 to $20,000. If that property carries a $5,000 deductible, the landlord is responsible for that amount.

Three things homeowners can do to encourage tenants to keep the heat on in their property:

Offer Incentives

During the winter season, people spend more money on heat, and with temperatures dropping below zero for longer periods of time, the cost of heating homes is only rising. Homeowners might help tenants by offering a $100 reduction in rent for two or three months. It’s a goodwill gesture that extends an understanding of possibly strained resources and protects the property owner’s interests at the same time.

Give Reminders

Send a reminder to tenants that they are responsible for maintaining the house at a minimum temperature, and if they’re going to be away for any reason to advise the landlord. Landlords could also add a typical clause in the rental agreement that requires tenants to heat their units.

Conduct Inspections

Landlords might run more inspections to ensure thermostats are working properly, and that there are no existing leaks in the heating system. Furthermore, by having frequent inspections (scheduled while the tenant is home) the landlord establishes a presence in the property maintenance, which tenants usually appreciate.

You May Also Like

mobile home-insurance

Astha Saxena September 19, 2021

Mobile Home Insurance: An In-Depth Coverage Guide

If you own a mobile home, several threats could affect your house more severely than a traditional house. For example, many people have heard about the devastation a tornado can cause in mobile home camps.

home-insurance

Gaurav September 19, 2021

What Is a Home Insurance Deductible?

5.1% of insured homes in the United States had a home insurance claim in 2019, according to ISO. Nearly all of these claims were due to property damage, including theft, which amounted to 97.2% of claims. The remaining 2.8% of claims were liability losses.

home-insurance

Astha Saxena September 19, 2021

5 Tips for Choosing the Right Home Insurance Companies for You

Homeowners insurance isn't on most people's minds until they experience damages, a disaster, or someone gets injured on their property. Only about 85% of homeowners have insured their homes.

Our Industry-leading Partners

Arbella

Farmers

Safeco

ASK ME QUESTIONS

facebook instagram linkdin twitter